We all know mornings can be difficult. Most of us have those days when you hit the snooze button 1 or 6 too many times, you finally wake up and you are going to be so late! I’ve never been an early bird so regular office hours is a real challenge for me. And especially when it is dark and rainy outside it’s rather difficult to drag myself out of the bed. So I tried to find out the best practices to wake up more easily.
1. Lay out your clothes the night before!Everything from shoes to bra, dress to jacket, purse to accessories. Check the weather forecast the previous night, maybe even for the week, and be ready! The only tricky part here is that it takes will power to stick to your decision from the night before. You never do know what mood you will wake up in and how that will affect how you want to express yourself fashion-wise that day, but maybe you’ll be too tired and in such a morning daze you’ll be unable to argue with yourself.
2. Streamline your makeup routine. Like a loaded shotgun ready for any possible intruder, have your morning makeup routine locked and loaded. Know how long it takes, have your products laid out and ready, so there’s no need to dig in a messy drawer searching for your favorite lipstick. Have a daily routine that you know like the back of your hand.
3. One of the conditions for waking up easily in the morning is a healthy and sound sleep during the night. So one of the things recommended is not to eat and drink too much before going to bed.
4. You should also keep your bedroom window open during the night so that exhaled carbon dioxide can float away and the fresh air come in. Nevertheless you should take care with having a normal body temperature during your sleep, not to be hot or cold , therefore you should choose the appropriate clothing and blanket otherwise it will disturb your sleep. It is advised to try to cut out the possible noises around you because the stress your body is experiencing while being woken up by disturbing noises when asleep is actually very harmful for your health (especially heart), therefore probably you should also choose some softer alarm tune to wake yourself up with.
5. It is important to have consistent sleeping hours – to go to bed and to wake up more or less at the same time every day (yes, even on the week-ends :S).
6. Getting up straight after your alarm has went off is advised, not to snooze it over and over again (maybe this carpet alarm clock would be the answer :)). But you shouldn’t get out of bed without stretching your body.
7. It is recommended to drink a glass of water on an empty stomach because it wakes up the metabolism of your body and makes yourself alert. Some exercises and few deep breaths while listening to the music you like would do good.
8. Plan breakfast, prep coffee. Standing in front of the fridge trying to figure out how to start off your day and making your coffee are huge time wasters and things that can be done the night before. If you are an at-home coffee drinker, make it the night before, so all you have to do in the morning is flip the switch! No messing with filters, water, or grounds.
9. And of course having something exciting to look forward to during the course of the day is a very stimulating thing as well. If you can not think of anything then just remember what The Buddha had said that every time you go to bed you should consider that you won’t wake up. That way, when you wake up you will be especially grateful for the day you have ahead of you. Instead of seeing the day as a burden that you have to “get through” you will see it as an opportunity to do something meaningful and beneficial.
Yes, in deed, there are too many things we take for granted, starting with the waking up in the morning.
So good night and sweet dreams! And enjoy waking up in the mornings!🙂